Sunday, April 15, 2012

Scallops on a bed of Spinach


Season the scallops with paprika, salt and pepper.


Since I am using a cast iron pan, I am able to sear all the scallops without steaming it. The cast iron pan retain the heat and sear it very well without lowering the pan temperature.


The spinach was amazing! I will cook it just the spinach just as it is and serve as a side dish.

Ingredients
  • 10 scallops
  • 1/4 cup onion, diced
  • 5 cups of fresh baby spinach
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoon white wine
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • Hungarian Sharp Paprika
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Season the scallops with paprika, salt and pepper on both sides.
  2. Sear the scallops in oil over high heat for 6 minutes on each side.
  3. Set aside, in the same pan add onion and garlic to saute for about 6 minutes. 
  4. Add the wine to deglaze the pan, then add the mustard. 
  5. Since I was making the good in an 8 inch pan, I cooked the spinach in increment. As soon as the spinach start to wilt, add more to the pan until all the spinach is cooked.




I love cooking with my cast iron pan, I am able to sear 10 large scallops without steaming it.  I once used a non-stick pan and sear about the same amount of scallops and it ended horribly! I ended up steaming the scallops instead of giving it a nice tasty crust. The cast iron pan retains the heat beautifully and I was able to sear everything without steaming it.  I highly recommend a cast iron pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment