Friday, May 13, 2011

Green Tea Cookies



This is my first batch of green tea cookies.

I love anything green tea: ice cream, waffles, cookies and mochi! Green tea cookies are expensive so I decided to make them myself. It is so simple and the outcome is exactly like those store bought ones. The Green Tea Matcha powder may seem expensive at first, but it is worth it and you do not need a lot for the recipes depending on the quality of the powder you buy. If you put too much into a recipe, it will turn bitter so play around with what you have because some matcha powder are stronger than the others.

Ingredients

  • 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Green Tea Matcha Powder
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour 

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cream butter, sugar, salt and Matcha powder together with a hand mixer for a minute. 
  3. Then use a fork to incorporate flour into the butter mixture.
  4. Just as I scoop my Doubly Chocolate Cookies, scoop out the green tea mixture with a measuring tablespoon. Unlike the chocolate cookies, these cookies will spread out a bit so place them 1 1/2 inch apart.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes.


I made green tea cookies again, this time I used a different brand of green tea matcha powder.  As you can see the color is much greener than the previous.  I do not have much experience with green tea matcha powder and did not realize that there is a big difference in them.




The trick to getting the dough not to stick is the saran wrap! Or I suppose you can use a melon baller, which I do not own.



I love the vibrant green color and the smell is amazing.




My friends love these cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment