Sunday, April 17, 2011

Egg Drop Soup



I never knew how easy it is to make egg drop soup.

Ingredients
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 tablespoon corn starch or flour
  • 1/4 inch ginger, julienne 
  • 6 dried mushroom
  • 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon scallion
  • white pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Place the mushroom in hot water for 40 minutes until soften then cut into bite size pieces.
  2. Lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
  3. Mix the cornstarch in some of the stock until it is dissolved. 
  4. Add the ginger soy sauce and mushroom to the stock and boil.
  5. Drizzle the cornstarch mixture into the soup whisking the whole time.
  6. Turn down the heat and slowly drizzle the eggs into the soup while stirring.
  7. Add salt and white pepper to taste.

I made the mistake of not cutting the mushroom the first time I made this soup and eating it in a hot soup was not that easy.  It was really tasty and much better than the Chinese take out place because the take outs are a bit too salty and starchy for my taste.  I added only a little bit of scallion because I am not too crazy about them.  Sometimes I don't even add it at all. I suppose if you do not have the dried Chinese mushroom, button mushrooms can be substituted.

No comments:

Post a Comment