Friday, September 23, 2011

Tomato "Cobbler"




I absolutely love this tomato cobbler recipe.I changed it enough that it is no longer a cobbler but I love this as a side dish so much.  I got this recipe from SeriousEats.com, so if you want the original recipe, you can look at the site. The first thing was definitely the amount of butter.  I am not Paula Deen and do not love butter the way she does. The recipe asked for 1 stick of butter, I only used 2 tablespoons which was more than I like. I also used one garlic clove and 1 tablespoon of chopped jalapeno pepper. I also cut back on the cumin because the flavor is really strong, so I used 1/8 teaspoon. If I have a fresh lime or lemon, I would definitely use it but I usually only have the lemon concentrate and it works for me.

Last change would be the tomato part, I used one big plum tomato or 4 Campari tomatoes. I love the Campari tomatoes because they are sweet, juicy and the acidity is low. I guess after all the changes, this is no longer a cobbler, so here is my recipe:


Ingredients
  • 1 large ripe plum tomato or 4 Campari tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 tablespoon diced jalepeno 
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/8 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon lemon concentrate
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine tomatoes, jalepeno, garlic, cilantro, cumin, and lemon juice. Sprinkle salt and pepper and toss together.
  3. In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal and baking powder together. Add milk and mix into a smooth batter.
  4. Melt butter in cast iron pan, and coat evenly so that the "cobbler" will slide out in one piece.
  5. Then pour the batter into the pan and let it stand for couple minutes.
  6. Pour the tomato mixture into the batter and spread evenly.
  7. Bake for 35 minutes or until the middle is set.

If you compare my recipe to the original recipe, I do not use canned tomatoes because that would make it too wet. I suppose that is the reason why my recipe is not a cobbler. I also changed the proportion of flour and cornmeal because the first time I made it with 50/50 cornmeal and flour, I like the cornmeal part better.


I absolutely love this recipe and I am so happy that I came across the original recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment