Friday, September 9, 2011

Pork Tacos


This pork shoulder is 3 pounds plus.  In my supermarket, they sometimes sell it already thinly sliced.  Sometimes I choose this over the already skinned and sliced because I chose freshness over convenience.  Besides, it is not that hard to skin the pork, debone it and cut it into 1-inch pieces. Buying this also gives me the bonus of using the bone for soup.


I really recommend a dutch oven over a slow cooker. I have the Le Creuset 2 1/4 quart pan and my stew actually takes 1/3 of the time of a slow cooker does.  Being a New Yorker, I do not have the time to cook things in a slow cooker. I know people do turn on the slow cooker and walk away but I am too paranoid to walk away food that are cooking. I also find that the meat are tastier, they do not lose their flavors into the liquid.

After the meat is done, I used two forks to pull the meat apart. Melted the cheese in oven under the broiler.

Added tomato mixtures and sour cream, you have yourself a great pork taco.

I served the pork tacos with a mix of diced plum tomato, 2 tablespoons of onion and 2 tablespoons of minced cilantro.

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds of cubed pork shoulder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions
  1. Season the pork with salt, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and coriander.
  2. Put the pork in a plastic bag and add flour. Close the bag and shake the flour to evenly coat all the pork.
  3. Sear meat in a dutch oven in batches.
  4. Add meat and its juices back to the pot. Then add the chicken stock and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring once in awhile so the bottom do not burn.

To make tacos, shred the meat and add it to flour tortilla.  Add as much cheese, tomato mixture and sour cream as you like. Enjoy!

I had left over meat from this recipe and paired the pork with rice and peas. It made a hearty lunch and taste even better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment