Sunday, March 25, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup






 I have tasted butternut squash soup in a box before.  It was pretty tasteless and there was no aromatic smell to it.  I decided to make some myself and I had the surprise of my life.  When I cut open the squash, the whole kitchen smelled like cantaloupe melon.  The smell was absolutely amazing, I would have never believe that it came from the squash if I had not been the one to open it.  You need a very sharp vegetable peeler and knife to cut this because the flesh is very hard. This have become one of my favorite soup, it came out so sweet.

Ingredients
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
  • 2 medium potatoes, cubed
  • 4 soup carrots, chopped
  • 2 cans of 14.5 oz chicken stock
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  •  2 tablespoon butter
  • fresh ground nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. In  large stock pot, saute the butternut squash, potatoes, carrots and onion for about 5 minutes.
  2. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
  3. Lower heat to medium low and simmer for 40 minutes.
  4. Blend the soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender until the consistency you desire. if you are using a blender, be careful not to over load it or the hot liquid might explode outward.
  5. Garnish with a little of freshly grated nutmeg.



The nutmeg add a little spice to it.  This soup is absolutely delicious and is sweetened by nature. Throw away the box ones, even the one I bought from Whole Foods can not compare to the fresh butternut squash soup.


I got this recipe on Allrecipes.com but tweek it to what I like.  Some people suggested sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes.  I might try that next time, it would definitely makes the soup sweeter.  The potatoes makes this soup heartier and all you need is some toasted baguette and you are set for dinner.




Some people said that it was too hard to peel the butternut squash because it is so hard so they suggested that you bake it in the oven before cooking it in soup.  That is such a waste of energy and money so why not use a very sharp vegetable peeler? I have this Oxo vegetable peeler that is super sharp and the grip is amazing.  I am a very clumsy so this works great with something so hard to peel.

No comments:

Post a Comment