Saturday, August 13, 2011

Guacamole (California Avocado)



I was in the mood for some guacamole and was looking for avocados in the supermarket.  Next to the regular size avocado I am so familiar with was these giant apple green avocados.  They were the California avocado and were definitely intimidating for someone who has never used it. It went on sale this week and I decided to experiment with it.  It was only a few cents off but nonetheless on sale.  I am genuinely surprise by the taste.  This behemoth avocado was lighter in flavor compared to the regular avocados.  It tasted more fruity, less creamy and the color was more yellow.  I would definitely buy it again and try it in a sandwich.  However, I would still prefer the smaller avocados because the taste is creamier.

Ingredients
  • 1 California Avocado
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped onion
  • Juice from half a lemon
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Mash avocado and lemon juice together.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combined.

I served this with tortilla chips and added it to my chicken enchiladas.  It was great as a dip and a side for my entree.

No comments:

Post a Comment